1. Mt Hotham Summit – Walk North, 200m up the Great Alpine Road to the Summit Trailhead and take the summit track 1.5km to the summit for 360 degree views. Alternatively, drive up the road to The Cross, and walk 700m up the Summit Access Management Track.
2. The Cross – Drive north and park approximately 1.4km up the Great Alpine Road and dine adjacent to the highest section of sealed, all-season road in Australia. Take in great views over the headwaters of the Diamantina River.
3. Joyce Brockhoff Hut – Drive North and park 1km up the Great Alpine Road at the Loch Car park. Sling your lunch over your shoulder and walk 1km out along Loch Ridge/Machinery Spur Tk. A quiet and secluded getaway.
4. Mt Higginbotham Summit – Walk south, up Higgi drive and follow the Track Marker Post 200 metres to the summit. Nestle amongst the Snowgums or lay out in the sun for amazing views.
5. Blue Ribbon Car Park – Drive south-east 950 metres. Great views over Swindlers Valley, with Spargo’s Hut in the distance.
6. Little Mount Higginbotham – Drive south-east 1.6km to Davenport Drive, and into Davenport Village, drive down to end of road 300m. Park in opening then follow Track Marker Post 200 metres to summit. Another quiet spot with great views.
7. Silver Brumby Hut – Drive south-east 2km to the Davenport Access Trailhead, then walk 2.8km downhill to the hut following Track Marker Posts. Soak up a soft cool breeze on the Plains of Heaven down by Swindlers Creek.
8. Christmas Lookout – Drive south-east 3.3km to Slatey Car park. Walk across road to Brabralung Trail, then 450m up Charlies Trail to lookout. Views over Swindlers valley and the Hotham ski fields.
9. Big Spur Picnic Area – Drive south-east 4km to Wire Plain, parking at Wire Plain Car park. Walk across road to Brabralung Trail and Big Spur Trailhead. Walk 1.7km along Wonderland Trail to the Picnic shelter and soak up the serenity.
10. Howard’s Hut – Drive south-east 4km to Wire Plain parking at Wire Plain Car park. Cross the road to the little green hut amongst the Snowgums for a touch of cattle grazing history.
11 & 12. Possum Flat & Dargo Lookout – Drive south-east 4km to Wire Plain parking at Wire Plain Car park. From the Possum Flat Trailhead, walk less than 500 metres to either tranquil settings.
13. Whiskey Flat – Drive south-east 5km to Whiskey Flat parking at Whiskey Flat Car park. Find a spot amongst the open grassy flat, take a book or fall asleep in the shade.
14. Brandy Creek – Drive-south 6km to Brandy Creek picnic shelter. A cool shady spot in summer to have a cuppa and learn about the Cobungra Gold Diggings. Take a walk to the mine after lunch.