Ladder chains, spider chains and snow socks are not to be used in the Mount Hotham Alpine Resort. It is a legal requirement of the Mount Hotham Alpine Resort Management Board (as per the Alpine Resorts (Management) Regulations 2009) that only diamond pattern chains are permitted.
Fines are applicable for not carrying and fitting the below specified diamond pattern chains as directed.
Diamond pattern wheel chains are the safest and most suitable traction device for the challenging conditions on the Great Alpine Road or Alpine Resort during the declared snow season or when snow chains are required.
An authorised diamond pattern wheel chain must be or of:
- Comprised of interlocking steel links or rings
- The correct size for the wheels and tyres fitted to the vehicle
- Suitable for the wheels, tyres, weight and construction of the vehicle
- When fitted will fully enclose the tyre and which effectively grips both side walls of the tyre
- Constructed of hard high quality steel
- f a pattern and design where some part of the chain will be in contact with the road surface at all times when fitted
- Suitable and durable enough for a road of varying gradients, sharp corners and variable conditions
- Not modified or altered from the original commercially manufactured product
Properly constructed and correctly fitted chains offer more traction and contact with the road surface compared with other chain patterns.
If the above specifications of diamond pattern wheel chains are met, then they are permitted when travelling through or to the Mount Hotham Alpine Resort.
Chains are not available for hire once on-mountain and must be carried with you from the beginning of your mountain ascent in Harrietville and Omeo.