All vehicles travelling to Mount Hotham are required by Law to carry Diamond Pattern Wheel Chains that are constructed of high-quality steel which criss-crosses around the whole surface of the tyre and therefore ultimately offer more traction and contact with the road surface compared with other chain patterns.
Diamond Pattern Wheel Chains are a mandatory legal requirement. These are the safest and most suitable chain for the challenging conditions on the Great Alpine Road. Please ensure that you know how to fit your chains and that they fit correctly.
An authorised Diamond Pattern Wheel Chain must be:
- Comprised of interlocking steel links or rings
- The correct size for the wheels and tyres fitted to the vehicle
- Suitable for the wheels, tyres, weight and construction of the vehicle
- When fitted will fully enclose the tyre and which effectively grips both side walls of the tyre
- Constructed of hard high quality steel
- Of a pattern and design where some part of the chain will be in contact with the road surface at all times when fitted
- Suitable and durable enough for a road of varying gradients, sharp corners and variable conditions
- Not modified or altered from the original commercially manufactured Diamond Pattern Wheel Chains
If the above conditions of Diamond Pattern Wheel Chains are met, then they are permitted at Mount Hotham.