The Alpine Classic isn’t just a cycling event in Victoria’s majestic High Country, it’s an experience that will stay with you forever. It will challenge you to the edge of your ability and then instantly reward you with breathtaking views that will be etched into your mind forever.
The Alpine Classic has been run successfully since 1986, when half a dozen keen Audax cyclists rode from Bright to Falls Creek and back. After a little refreshment they felt the need for more, and set off to ride the additional 70km up Mt Buffalo and back. This 200 km route became the famed Audax Alpine Classic.
The Alpine Classic is now catering to around 2,000 riders, over 8 courses ranging from moderate to seriously challenging. As this is not a race, there are no road closures.
In addition to the range of rides which support “the Classic”, a free food and music festival is available for all finishers and non-cyclists at the start/finish in Howitt Park. The Bonjour Bright Festival has been French themed to celebrate the association of the Alpine Classic with Audax International, based in France.
Some local roads in the area will be affected by this event, please see below, but there are no road closures. We ask that all road users travel safely and consider other road users when travelling these roads during these periods.
Saturday, 23rd January 2021
- B500 Great Alpine Rd between Bright and Omeo 6:30am to 5:00pm (low traffic)
Sunday 24th January, 2021
- B500 Great Alpine Rd between Bright and Omeo 4:00am – 2:30pm
- C543 Omeo Hwy between Omeo and Shannonvale 6:30am – 3:30pm
- B500 Great Alpine Rd between Porepunkah and Germantown 4:00am – 8:00pm
- C536 Tawonga Gap Rd 6:30am – 8:00pm
- C531 Kiewa Valley Hwy/Bogong High Plains Rd - between Tawonga South, Mt Beauty and Falls Creek 7:30am – 7:00pm
- Bogong High Plains Rd, Falls Creek to Shannon Vale 7:30am to 6:00pm
- C535 Mt Buffalo Rd between Porepunkah and Dingo Dell 4:00am – 11:30am
Road closures in Bright: https://www.alpineshire.vic.gov.au/residents/roads-and-infrastructure/road-closures-and-changes
More event information click here