More than just a chain bay
On your journey up to Hotham you may have noticed our brand new signs marking¬†the chain bays on both the Harrietville and Omeo approaches to the village.¬†¬†Chain bay locations with names such as Corbett's Flat, Olive Branch, Star Extended, The Black Hole, Dungey's Hollow, and Blowhard Hut¬†represent a link¬†to Mt Hotham‚Äôs¬†gold mining history from the 1850s¬†where the gold rushes played a pivotal role in the development of Victoria and Australia, and¬†had a significant impact on Mt Hotham and surrounds.
The individual identification of the chain bays also plays an important customer road and operations services role. Visitors to the resort can be advised as to the specific bay in which chains are being fitted, or in an emergency response situation these areas become geographic reference points. Every place name has a unique story, a story that is a window into the history of the region.
Over the coming weeks we‚Äôll unveil these unique stories so the next time you travel up to Hotham you will know a little more about the evidence and forgotten stories of the region's pioneers.¬†
To find out more about¬†the locations of¬†these¬†chain bays, please click on the link below to view a PDF of the Chain Fitting Bays map.
Chains are available for hire on your way to Hotham in Harrietville - at Hotham Sports or Hoys and on the Omeo side at Billie's Ski Hire.
06 July 2011
- Latest News
- Happy Christmas from Hotham!
- Tracks & Trails Now Open
- Hotham Road Update - 3rd December, 2013.
- Search for Lost Grave
- QantasLink unmissable sale is on now!
- Mt Hotham Resort Management Board
- Dinner Plain MILE HIGH Trail Run
- Arlberg Hotham
- 7 Peaks Alpine Ascent Challenge
- Early Bird 2014 Hotham Season Permit
- Celebrating 150 Years Of Rich Gold History
- Update your Snow Pass details...
- Thanks For the Fun Times
- It‚Äôs time to say goodbye
- Spring Offers
- Spring Sessions Sorbet Slopestyle
- Strategic Management Plan Feedback
- 2014 Hero Pass - Last chance to purchase!
- 18cm fresh snow in 24 hours
- Keogh's/Orchard now OPEN!
- The 2nd Annual Genny Rail Jam
- Bright P-12 College
- Hotham - Snowfield of Women
- Snow Shoe Tour This Monday At Dinner Plain
- Terrain Park Update