Record August Snowfalls
Wow, what an August and we're now excited to be entering the best spring in years! Those who have skied or boarded in the last couple of weeks will be able to tell you, but here are some stats to back them up!
Total August snowfall was 229cm, bringing the season to date snowfall to 308cm. This is the only August with total snowfall of over 200cm in the last 18 years.
We had our biggest 24 hour snowfall on 26 August when 47cm fell from the skies and created a powder wonderland for skiers and boarders.
CLICK HERE to checkout some awesome footage of the recent powder!
The month finished with the deepest August 31 base depth since 2004. It is 40cm deeper than the average for that date.
This has been the second coldest August in terms of average daily low temperature since 1991. August 2008 and 2010 are the only Augusts with an average daily low temperature of -5 degrees or colder. That's pretty chilly!
The Summit temperature climbed above freezing for only 7 days, compared with 17 days last August.
Snowmaking production for August was 78 percent higher than what was produced in August 2009. The seasonal production of snowmaking is the equivalent of 17,711 village buses full of snow, 170 Olympic size swimming pools or 21m of snow coverage on the surface of the MCG!
This year will see Spring skiing at it’s best! Come up and experience great Winter snow at great Spring prices!
CLICK HERE for Spring deals with up to 50% off accommodation/lift/hire packages and Kids Ski Free Deals.
MORE INFO on weekend events.
Pic: Heidi Ettlinger from the USA gets face shots on Blue Ribbon - she said (as a seasoned skier of more than 25 full seasons), "That this is the best snow I've ever skied in Australia and if I got this quality snow in Tahoe I'd be happy".
1 September 2010
- Latest News
- Hotham Road Update - 3rd December, 2013.
- Tracks & Trails Now Open
- 7 Peaks Alpine Ascent Challenge
- Search for Lost Grave
- QantasLink unmissable sale is on now!
- Mt Hotham Resort Management Board
- Dinner Plain MILE HIGH Trail Run
- Arlberg Hotham
- Early Bird 2014 Hotham Season Permit
- Celebrating 150 Years Of Rich Gold History
- Update your Snow Pass details...
- Thanks For the Fun Times
- It’s time to say goodbye
- Spring Offers
- Spring Sessions Sorbet Slopestyle
- Strategic Management Plan Feedback
- 2014 Hero Pass - Last chance to purchase!
- 18cm fresh snow in 24 hours
- Keogh's/Orchard now OPEN!
- The 2nd Annual Genny Rail Jam
- Bright P-12 College
- Hotham - Snowfield of Women
- Snow Shoe Tour This Monday At Dinner Plain
- 12cm fresh snow overnight!
- Terrain Park Update