FIS ANC Ski-X Results
Australia’s men’s team had reason to celebrate today with a 1-2 finish in the race 1 final of the FIS ANC Ski-X. Young gun Anton Grimus crossed the line less than a half a ski length ahead of fellow Australian Institute of Sport / NSW Institute of Sport athlete Scott Kneller. Kenji Kono and Hiroomi Takizawa, both from Japan, rounded out the field in third and fourth places.
Although Kneller set the fastest qualifying time of the day, advanced to the final with easy victories in the heats and looked set to win the final, Grimus produced a blistering performance to simply outclass Australia’s top ranked ski cross athlete.
The 20-year-old from Mansfield in Victoria showed glimpses of brilliance on the World Cup circuit last season and today left nobody wondering about his potential.
In the ladies competition, Australian Katya Crema took line honours ahead of Fanny Smith (SUI), Hioki Chiyako (JPN) and Djoeke Hoedemaker (AUS) respectively.
Crema, a competitor in 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, admitted that she was surprised by the win, although she knew from each of her wins in the earlier rounds that she was ready to cause an upset. “It feels so good. It was tough competition and I had nothing to lose so I just went for it,” a beaming Crema said.
Today's racing acted as somewhat of a confidence boost for Crema, who admits that she "will now go into the coming World Cup season with a lot more confidence" knowing she has already defeated "one of the best girls on the World Cup".
Crema attributes much of her win to a more rigorous pre-season, which has seen her focus heavily on building strength, which has translated into more explosive starts and power through turns. After her convincing win today it's sure to be a spectacular season for this young Aussie.
Click here for a full results listing from today. Stay tuned tomorrow for more action on the Road Runner Rider-X course!
Image - Crema, Smith & Hioki make the podium on race 1 of the FIS ANC Ski-X competition today.
21 August 2011
- Latest News
- Hotham Road Update - 3rd December, 2013.
- Tracks & Trails Now Open
- 7 Peaks Alpine Ascent Challenge
- Search for Lost Grave
- QantasLink unmissable sale is on now!
- Mt Hotham Resort Management Board
- Dinner Plain MILE HIGH Trail Run
- Arlberg Hotham
- Early Bird 2014 Hotham Season Permit
- Celebrating 150 Years Of Rich Gold History
- Update your Snow Pass details...
- Thanks For the Fun Times
- It’s time to say goodbye
- Spring Offers
- Spring Sessions Sorbet Slopestyle
- Strategic Management Plan Feedback
- 2014 Hero Pass - Last chance to purchase!
- 18cm fresh snow in 24 hours
- Keogh's/Orchard now OPEN!
- The 2nd Annual Genny Rail Jam
- Bright P-12 College
- Hotham - Snowfield of Women
- Snow Shoe Tour This Monday At Dinner Plain
- 12cm fresh snow overnight!
- Terrain Park Update