The Huts Walk Opened - History Made
OnÂ Saturday 16 April 2011, The Huts Walk was officially opened at Blue Ribbon Car Park, Great Alpine Road Mt Hotham.Â The location over looking Swindlerâ€™s Creek to Spargoâ€™s Hut at Golden Point was attended by over 40 people, including members of the local historical societies, participants in the Beyond Hotham 4WD event, members of the Resort Management Board and staff.Â Guest of honor was Mr and Mrs Len Spargo, who was able to officially open the walking track.Â Mr Len Spargo and his family have had a long association with the Mt Hotham ski resort and are among the pioneering families who turned the mountain from a remote wilderness into a vibrant recreational skiing destination.
In 1928 Lenâ€™s parents Mr & Mrs Cecil Spargo at the invitation of Bill Spargo, (gold miner and later discoverer of the rich Red Robin goldmine) to assist in the running of the Hotham Chalet and cater for the increasing snow trade. Cecil, a builder by trade was also largely responsible for the construction of Spargoâ€™s Hut.Â Len, only a baby was brought along for the adventure and spent his early years growing up at Hotham during the late 1920s, early 1930s.Â Len has had a strong association with the mountain ever since. At the age of 3 Â˝ Len accompanied by his parents skied from Mt Hotham to Omeo, in what was a first for the district, and reported on in the Melbourne papers of the day.Â Mr Len Spargo, now 85, also achieved another great feat on Saturday after the launch when, accompanied by a small party walked some 4.5kms on the most difficult and steep section of the Huts Walk to revisit the hut his father Cecil had built for Bill Spargo during the late 1920s.Â Whilst at the hut Len recalled his early memories of the location.Â Len returned successfully via the same route, stating only that it was a slightly longer journey than he remembered from his younger years.Â Mr Len Spargoâ€™s pioneering spirit is obviously still remarkably strong.
Image: Left to right: Derek Follet (track crew), Andrew Swift (track supervisor), Len Spargo, Jack Duffy (track crew), Eddie Maguire (track crew).
18 April 2011
- Latest News
- Hotham Road Update - 3rd December, 2013.
- Tracks & Trails Now Open
- 7 Peaks Alpine Ascent Challenge
- Search for Lost Grave
- QantasLink unmissable sale is on now!
- Mt Hotham Resort Management Board
- Dinner Plain MILE HIGH Trail Run
- Arlberg Hotham
- Early Bird 2014 Hotham Season Permit
- Celebrating 150 Years Of Rich Gold History
- Update your Snow Pass details...
- Thanks For the Fun Times
- Itâ€™s time to say goodbye
- Spring Offers
- Spring Sessions Sorbet Slopestyle
- Strategic Management Plan Feedback
- 2014 Hero Pass - Last chance to purchase!
- 18cm fresh snow in 24 hours
- Keogh's/Orchard now OPEN!
- The 2nd Annual Genny Rail Jam
- Bright P-12 College
- Hotham - Snowfield of Women
- Snow Shoe Tour This Monday At Dinner Plain
- 12cm fresh snow overnight!
- Terrain Park Update