Slip Slop Slap in winter
Even in the depths of winter, you’re still not safe from the sun – especially at the snow.
Sunscreen and eye protection is as essential as your hat and gloves at the snow, as you can burn just as easily as when you’re at the beach in summer.
“Ultraviolet (UV) is more intense at higher altitudes because there is less atmosphere to filter the UV rays. At Hotham, there is almost 10 per cent more UV than at sea level,” explained SunSmart Manager Sue Heward.
“Furthermore, the snow can reflect as much as 90 per cent of the sun’s harmful UV rays. So skiers and snowboarders can be exposed to a double dose of UV - directly from the sun and indirectly when it is scattered and reflected by the snow,” said Ms Heward.
SunSmart’s tips for sun protection in the snow
- Apply SPF30+, broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen and lip balm at least 20 minutes before going outside to protect any part of your body that is exposed.
- Reapply every 2 hours - put a small tube of sunscreen in your jacket pocket or bag.
- Protect your eyes by wearing goggles or wrap around sunglasses that meet the Australian Standard.
For more information on vitamin D, UV and sun exposure recommendations, go to sunsmart.com.au.
15 June 2011
- Latest News
- Hotham Road Update - 3rd December, 2013.
- Tracks & Trails Now Open
- 7 Peaks Alpine Ascent Challenge
- Search for Lost Grave
- QantasLink unmissable sale is on now!
- Mt Hotham Resort Management Board
- Dinner Plain MILE HIGH Trail Run
- Arlberg Hotham
- Early Bird 2014 Hotham Season Permit
- Celebrating 150 Years Of Rich Gold History
- Update your Snow Pass details...
- Thanks For the Fun Times
- It’s time to say goodbye
- Spring Offers
- Spring Sessions Sorbet Slopestyle
- Strategic Management Plan Feedback
- 2014 Hero Pass - Last chance to purchase!
- 18cm fresh snow in 24 hours
- Keogh's/Orchard now OPEN!
- The 2nd Annual Genny Rail Jam
- Bright P-12 College
- Hotham - Snowfield of Women
- Snow Shoe Tour This Monday At Dinner Plain
- 12cm fresh snow overnight!
- Terrain Park Update