Hotham's history captured on film
The peaceful surroundings of the Silver Brumby hut located at the base of Hothamâ€™s Blue Ribbon chairlift was the scene of a riot on the weekend - but for a good reason.Â The riot was filmed as part of a short film promotion to capture the story of a protest march that occurred during the construction of the Cobungra Ditch Water Race over 125 years ago.
The film series will document several points of historical significance that have never been captured on film for the alpine resort before. The focus will be on the â€śgreat excitementâ€ť that was caused when 50 men assigned the arduous task of cutting out the water race for the Cobungra GMCo, were suddenly dismissed and ordered to put down their tools only a month into what they were told was a seven month project. The workers had endured hard physical labour in not only traveling to the camp site, but in constructing the water race, and so in November 1884, 50 men marched along the road to protest their anger to the managers about this decision.
To ensure the setting for the reenactment was as authentic as possible, the location was transformed into a miniature 1880s gold mining camp complete with mining tents, original relics, corrugated iron shelters, a blacksmithâ€™s shop, and a mine managerâ€™s quarters.
The local community was heavily involved in the production with most of the actors local history enthusiasts, some whom had traveled from Beechworth to be a part of this special filming event.
The opening of the 12.5km Cobungra Ditch Walk at Hotham will allow visitors of all ages to retrace the steps of these miners, and how the investment made by the Cobungra GMCo generated a mining boom which eventually saw the development of the future Great Alpine Road, and the beginnings of Mt Hotham as a winter tourist destination.Â Â
The Cobungra Ditch Walk will be open to the public mid-March 2011.
13 December 2010
- Latest News
- Hotham Road Update - 3rd December, 2013.
- Tracks & Trails Now Open
- 7 Peaks Alpine Ascent Challenge
- Search for Lost Grave
- QantasLink unmissable sale is on now!
- Mt Hotham Resort Management Board
- Dinner Plain MILE HIGH Trail Run
- Arlberg Hotham
- Early Bird 2014 Hotham Season Permit
- Celebrating 150 Years Of Rich Gold History
- Update your Snow Pass details...
- Thanks For the Fun Times
- Itâ€™s time to say goodbye
- Spring Offers
- Spring Sessions Sorbet Slopestyle
- Strategic Management Plan Feedback
- 2014 Hero Pass - Last chance to purchase!
- 18cm fresh snow in 24 hours
- Keogh's/Orchard now OPEN!
- The 2nd Annual Genny Rail Jam
- Bright P-12 College
- Hotham - Snowfield of Women
- Snow Shoe Tour This Monday At Dinner Plain
- 12cm fresh snow overnight!
- Terrain Park Update