Merlin's Magic Wand Interschools Challenge
It was a beautiful weekend here at Mount Hotham in perfect timing for the very first Merlin Magic Wand Interschool’s Challenge. The two day event consisted of Giant Slalom on day one and Rider-X on day two. We had bluebird conditions with grippy snow and light winds. The event was a fundraiser for Merlin’s Magic Wand who believe in putting the magic back into the childhoods of seriously ill, disabled and disadvantaged children. We had over 60 competitors participating each day and raised over 600 dollars towards the cause.
Day one saw our competitors racing down the Giant Slalom on the Big D Race Course. The Under 8’s ski division saw strong performances from Ava McKann and Bradley Manns, while Elizabeth Darby and Tristian Rowley dominated the Under 10’s. The female Under 12’s ski division saw an interesting finish with Pia Bruce taking out first place, followed closely by Amy Seedsman and Jade Culyer tying for second. The male Under 12’s ski category saw quick times from both Kyle McGown and William Atwell. Connor Reeve took out first place in the male Under 14’s category. Snowboard competitors Flynn Williamson, Ava-Willow Wilson and Courtney Bartlett each took out their category, as well as strong performances from brothers Lachlan and Dylan Walker in the Under 12’s and 14’s. Special mention to Sarah Morgan and Lachlan Jordan who each competed in both ski and snowboard disciplines, taking out the Under 16’s titles in each division.
Day two presented our competitors with a fun and challenging Rider-X course on Hotham’s Road Runner. The Under 8’s ski division saw impressive times from Jasmine Manns and Zac McGown, each dominating their categories. While, Pia Bruce, William Atwell, Jade Culyer, Kyle McGown and Sarah Morgan all backed up to place once again in their respective ski divisions. Special mention to William Kadwell who clocked in the fastest time of the day in the ski division, in a blistering 43.16, taking out first place in the male Under 14’s. Snowboarders Ava-Willow Wilson, Flynn Williamson and Courtney Bartlett all returned to impressively take out their divisions. Carter Mills took out the Under 14’s division, while Ethan Wilson dominated the male Under 16’s with the fastest time of the day in the snowboard division in an unbelievable 43.01.
It was an awesome weekend with an emphasis on fun. We saw some extraordinary talent on the race course and raised some money towards an excellent cause. We are looking forward to doing it again next year!
25 July 2014
- Why Hotham?
- Location & Maps
- Snow & Weather
- Latest News
- Cold snap brings early snow.
- Resort Entry
- Exciting New Village Concept Plan
- Mt Hotham Alpine Resort Management Board Annual Report 2014/15
- Hotham Autumn Feast
- Applications for employment this winter now open!
- The Green Army help revegetation project in Swindlers Valley
- Camp Hotham - Snowsports Racer Program
- Rays Ski Shop 10 Day Easter Sale
- Easter in the Alpine Region
- 6 Day Any Day Lift Pass
- 2016 SSA Recreational Competition Survey
- Huge snow gear clearance
- Explore more of Hotham on the Digital Tour Guide
- New Board Appointments for 2016
- Dinner Plain Tube Park Open for Christmas
- Electricity supply interruption 24th Nov 2015
- A Good Sign for the Bushwalking Season
- Onsen Retreat + Spa open for Melbourne Cup Long Weekend
- Hotham Auto Corsa Alpine Tarmac Rally Postoned
- Travelling The Great Alpine Road
- Hotham's $4.4 Million Snowmaking Expansion for 2016 and Beyond
- Auto Corsa Hotham Tarmac Rally Course Announcement
- Closing weekend scavenger hunt
- Mountain Ambassadors
- Video Gallery
- Photo Gallery