Merlin's Magic Wand Interschools Challenge
It was a beautiful weekend here at Mount Hotham in perfect timing for the very first Merlin Magic Wand Interschool’s Challenge. The two day event consisted of Giant Slalom on day one and Rider-X on day two. We had bluebird conditions with grippy snow and light winds. The event was a fundraiser for Merlin’s Magic Wand who believe in putting the magic back into the childhoods of seriously ill, disabled and disadvantaged children. We had over 60 competitors participating each day and raised over 600 dollars towards the cause.
Day one saw our competitors racing down the Giant Slalom on the Big D Race Course. The Under 8’s ski division saw strong performances from Ava McKann and Bradley Manns, while Elizabeth Darby and Tristian Rowley dominated the Under 10’s. The female Under 12’s ski division saw an interesting finish with Pia Bruce taking out first place, followed closely by Amy Seedsman and Jade Culyer tying for second. The male Under 12’s ski category saw quick times from both Kyle McGown and William Atwell. Connor Reeve took out first place in the male Under 14’s category. Snowboard competitors Flynn Williamson, Ava-Willow Wilson and Courtney Bartlett each took out their category, as well as strong performances from brothers Lachlan and Dylan Walker in the Under 12’s and 14’s. Special mention to Sarah Morgan and Lachlan Jordan who each competed in both ski and snowboard disciplines, taking out the Under 16’s titles in each division.
Day two presented our competitors with a fun and challenging Rider-X course on Hotham’s Road Runner. The Under 8’s ski division saw impressive times from Jasmine Manns and Zac McGown, each dominating their categories. While, Pia Bruce, William Atwell, Jade Culyer, Kyle McGown and Sarah Morgan all backed up to place once again in their respective ski divisions. Special mention to William Kadwell who clocked in the fastest time of the day in the ski division, in a blistering 43.16, taking out first place in the male Under 14’s. Snowboarders Ava-Willow Wilson, Flynn Williamson and Courtney Bartlett all returned to impressively take out their divisions. Carter Mills took out the Under 14’s division, while Ethan Wilson dominated the male Under 16’s with the fastest time of the day in the snowboard division in an unbelievable 43.01.
It was an awesome weekend with an emphasis on fun. We saw some extraordinary talent on the race course and raised some money towards an excellent cause. We are looking forward to doing it again next year!
25 July 2014
- Why Hotham?
- Location & Maps
- Snow & Weather
- Latest News
- NEW night bus service for Dinner Plain and Hotham
- Interruption To Electricity Supply - 18th May
- New restaurant for Hotham
- Brabralung year round, multi-purpose interpretive trail open just in time for Easter
- Hotham Auto Corsa Tarmac Rally
- Snow! Snow! Snow!
- Last Days to purchase your Early Bird Season Car Permits...
- Tubing and bike pump track open for Easter long weekend
- 6 DAY ANY DAY LIFT PASS SPECIAL
- Up to 70% off ski and snowboard gear
- Great Alpine Road Closed 8am - 12:30pm Sunday
- Beyond Hotham Registration period extended
- Applications now open for Winter 2015 employment
- Mt Hotham named in top 25 resorts by Business Insider
- Resort Management appoints new CEO
- 2015 Beyond Hotham Event Announcement
- Hotham Tracks & Trails, Running Along
- Opening Launch - Alpine Crossing Trail Head
- 7 Peaks Alpine Challenge 17 October 2014 - 31 March 2015
- Hotham History Timeline Project
- Goodbye to season 2014 - Hello season 2015!
- The countdown is on
- Spring snowfalls!
- Spring Sessions Slopestyle + Final Placings
- Photo Gallery