Chicks With Stix a Hit
Skier Cross athlete and two time Olympian Katya Crema teamed up with girls from Chicks with Stix for the Mt Hotham Throwdown on the Sunday, an initiative to get young girls involved with skiing and snowboarding and encouraging them to push through to the next level.
“I love going out skiing with young girls that absolutely love the sport, I get a lot back from their improvement”, says Katya Crema, Ski Cross Olympian and ambassador for Chicks with Stix.
The event started with a quick jog around the snow gums, star jumps and lunges with Crema, getting the girls warmed up and ready to throw down tricks the Basin Terrain Park despite the fog.
“We want everyone to ride to their ability level, but if you’re keen to try out new tricks, our coaches are here to guide you”, says free-ride skier Zoe Jaboor.
Chicks with Stix started in 2010 by Zoe Jaboor, a mogul skier turned free-rider, to influence girls in the Australian snow industry. The free event offers girls a chance to improve their skills on snow with Australia’s top athletes.
The event featured top coaches like Olympian Katya Crema along with familiar faces like Hotham local Hannah Studd and Merrin Jokic.
Wennie Tan, snowboarder and Physiotherapist from Melbourne, says the event was fun and well organised, and admitted to feeling a little star struck by the coaches. “I probably would sign up to co-ed comps but the vibe here is different. It’s a less intimating and more encouraging environment and it’s easier to perform without the pressure.”
The participants had an hour to get familiar with the course set up, before being judged on different components like difficulty, amplitude, and variety of the tricks.
“The resort has been really supportive with providing a venue for girls to get together and advertising these events to promote more females in the industry”, says Crema. “I’m one of a small handful of female skiers who have taken skiing to a professional level and when Zoe Jaboor got in touch about her plans, I was really pumped to get involved.”
The Chicks with Stix is not only for future athletes but also about enjoying time on snow.
“The more girls that get involved from a junior development level, the more opportunity we will have for females representing Australia at the Olympics. We actually had more females than males represented at the Sochi Olympics for the very first time which is really encouraging.”
Check out all the photos from the event on our Facebook page.
19 August 2014
- Why Hotham?
- Location & Maps
- Snow & Weather
- Latest News
- Cold snap brings early snow.
- Last days to purchase your Early Bird Season Car Permits!
- Exciting New Village Concept Plan
- Mt Hotham Alpine Resort Management Board Annual Report 2014/15
- Hotham Autumn Feast
- Applications for employment this winter now open!
- The Green Army help revegetation project in Swindlers Valley
- Camp Hotham - Snowsports Racer Program
- Rays Ski Shop 10 Day Easter Sale
- Easter in the Alpine Region
- 6 Day Any Day Lift Pass
- 2016 SSA Recreational Competition Survey
- Huge snow gear clearance
- Explore more of Hotham on the Digital Tour Guide
- New Board Appointments for 2016
- Dinner Plain Tube Park Open for Christmas
- Electricity supply interruption 24th Nov 2015
- A Good Sign for the Bushwalking Season
- Onsen Retreat + Spa open for Melbourne Cup Long Weekend
- Hotham Auto Corsa Alpine Tarmac Rally Postoned
- Travelling The Great Alpine Road
- Hotham's $4.4 Million Snowmaking Expansion for 2016 and Beyond
- Auto Corsa Hotham Tarmac Rally Course Announcement
- Closing weekend scavenger hunt
- Mountain Ambassadors
- Video Gallery
- Photo Gallery