Exciting New Village Concept Plan
The Mount Hotham Resort Management Board is proud to present the “Hotham Central Public Safety and Urban Amenity Upgrade” for your input, to assist with the design of the village centre.
Over 400 mountain stakeholders attended workshops in 2013 giving valuable feedback for the formation of the Mt Hotham Strategic Management Plan. At the core of these workshops were two questions “What are the best things about the Hotham Resort?” and “What are the biggest problems associated with the Hotham Resort?” At the forefront of these answers was the lack of a village centre, a village heart and pedestrian safety on the Great Alpine Road.
As a result of these community meetings, the Board developed the Mt Hotham Resort Master Plan which is being finalised. The plan guides and facilitates future development and the ongoing evolution of Mt Hotham as one of Victoria’s premier Alpine Resorts for the next 20 years or more. The Hotham Central Public Safety and Urban Amenity Upgrade is the first stage of 5 identified development precincts throughout the resort, and incorporates the following key drivers of:
- Pedestrian safety – Great Alpine Road and pedestrian access in a shared zone
- Urban renewal
- Bus circulation - upgrade to bus stops and interchange area
- Upgraded day visitor facilities
- Community square
- Freight depot
- Private investment opportunities
- Year round activities
Please note, the original Master Plan has been amended due to the loss of private investment, which underwrote the $30 million major realignment to the Great Alpine Road. The plan became cost prohibitive to implement in this format and the new plan, outlined on the concept images, increases space for a shared vehicle and pedestrian access zones. A significant amount of research and planning has been carried out on the Hotham Central Precinct, particularly concerning hazards on the Great Alpine Road. One of the Board’s key activities is to engage with stakeholders to ensure the best outcome for all.
The artist’s impressions are designed to simulate the potential atmosphere at Hotham Central Precinct and are indicative of the core elements surrounding the design.
One aspect that is often raised is the loss of car parking facilities from the Corral car park for day visitation. It is envisaged that with some modification to the Loch car park, additional safe car parking can be provided adjacent to the Heavenly Valley access areas.
There has been additional overnight car parking provided as a result of the 2015 upgrade to Whitey’s car park, and further undercover parking approved on the ASGAARD/ TANTANI development site.
In the interim, it is planned to prototype the design during the 2016 season, which will mean relocating some of the permanent car parks for the season. The addition of a temporary village square can be utilised for entertainment and other features during the winter as a trial for the final product.
View The New Concept Plans
We look forward to receiving your comments on the Hotham Central Public Safety and Urban Amenity Upgrade via writing to email@example.com or addressed to Hotham Central Public Safety and Urban Amenity Upgrade, Mt Hotham RMB, PO Box 188, Bright VIC 3741 by 14 February 2016.
18 January 2016
- Why Hotham?
- Location & Maps
- Snow & Weather
- Latest News
- Hotham backs a ride for a good cause - Tour de Cure 2017
- Corral Car Park Site, Hotham Village call for Expressions of Interest in development
- Bringing Easter To New Heights
- Annual General Meeting of the Australian Alpine and Snowsports History Association (AASHA)
- Summit Snowmaking Stage 4: Snowmaking Works
- There is a reason why Victorian Alps Nursery is so unique
- Tour de Cure is on their way from Hotham to Hobart
- Hotham's Food Waste Recycling helping the environment
- The digital tour guides of Hotham
- Mount Hotham Sewer and Stormwater Upgrade
- Wangaratta Ski Club reunites in memory of member Charlie Derrick and the 50th Anniversary of Derrick Hut
- Marty and Dan cycle the 7 Peaks to raise money to assist those in need
- Developing tadpoles have, once again, been discovered in the Loch Dam
- Cyclists pedal ‘7 Peaks in 7 Days’ to raise funds for prostate cancer research
- Mount Hotham welcomed Casey Demons VFL last weekend for their pre-season camp
- New picnic shelter infrastructure gives Mount Hotham a sense of arrival
- Hotham's Digital Tour Guide is all you need
- Mount Hotham's guided bushwalks are more than just a walk
- Mountain Ambassadors
- Video Gallery
- Photo Gallery